Design Studio: Laser Cutter
- All files must be PDF format.
- Laser cut parts must be for an undergrad class
- Usable via requests through TA ONLY!
- Submit files for printing
- FabLab TA Office hours
About This Machine
This free-standing, single platform laser can cut a variety of materials to produce precise parts quickly to allow for rapid prototyping and design iterations.
- All files must be PDF format
- Laser Material Processing Area (W x H): 24” x 18” *
- Maximum thickness is 0.25
- Full list of acceptable materials to cut ***PVC IS NEVER ALLOWED***
How to Use
Want something laser cut?
Converting from Solidworks to Drawing and submitting for Laser Cutting (click here for video)
- Make a Solidworks .SLDPRT file.
- Go to the toolbar and click “Make drawing from part”.
- Choose the 18” x 24” sheet for your sheet size because this is the size of the laser bed.
- Make the drawing of only the face that you want to be cut out.
- Edit the drawing scale ratio to a 1:1.
- Remove any hidden lines, center lines, or any other lines that you do not want to be cut
- Save the drawing file as a PDF file (Can be done in “save as” menu)
- Fill out the Laser Cutter request form and email your parts as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org
A Design Studio TA will look over your request and will email you if your design is rejected for any reason and will list the reason for rejection.
Please note: It can take up to 5 days for requests to be filled based on TA availability and queue of requests for a laser cut part.