In order to prepare the mechanical engineers of the future to take their places in this profession and to be fully consistent with the published University and College Mission Statements, the UD Department of Mechanical Engineering has developed an undergraduate program that is both intellectually challenging and broad in scope.
The objective of the undergraduate Mechanical Engineering Program at the University of Delaware is to produce graduates with a strong foundation in engineering fundamentals, enabling them to lead successful careers and/or obtain advanced degrees, and to contribute to the profession and the community at large.
NOTE: elements to be considered when assessing contributions will include items such as: advancement within an organization, teaching (for example, classes, short courses, continuing education, etc.), publishing papers or technical reports, applying for patents, delivering conference presentations, authoring other technical publications, progress towards professional registration, and active involvement with professional organizations.
The Student Outcomes expected of all graduates are:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Fall Undergraduate Enrollment
Bachelors Degrees Awarded