The Mechanical Engineering Department at University of Delaware has been “Building Engineers” since 1891. We have over 3,600 living alumni who stay connected to the program, forming a tight-knit community that supports our current students and celebrates our collective accomplishments as UD MechE’s.
There are many ways to stay connected to the UD Mechanical Engineering program.
- Attend our Annual Celebrations: The department hosts two great events annually specifically to welcome alumni back home (see below).
- Connect on Social Media: Catch up on all of the latest happenings in Spencer Lab by following our department’s Facebook page, which is jointly managed by our faculty, staff, and current students. We also have an active professional networking community through LinkedIn.
- Visit Us! We love seeing you back in Spencer Lab. Do you have professional experiences that you would like to share with current students? The program is always looking for alumni to come back to Spencer Lab to guest lecture and speak with student organizations.
Ways to Give Back
No matter if you are an early, mid, or late career alum, there are many ways to give back to your UD Mechanical Engineering community.
- Sponsor a Senior Design Team: Every fall, the program recruits industry, academic, and community partners with interesting design challenges to sponsor a senior design team. One great way to give back is to have your employer sponsor a team.
- Hire Fellow UD MechEs: Whether it is a summer internship for current students or a full- time career for recent alums, the department makes it easy for you to hire your fellow UD MechE’s. UD Career Services Handshake system offers a suite of services, including targeting messaging, career fairs, and on-campus recruiting. More informally, the department’s LinkedIn page allows you to broadcast your job opportunity to students and fellow alums.
- Mentor a Current Student: In partnership with UD Career Services, the department is matching alumni with current students for one-on-one mentorship. Sign up today.
- Pay It Forward (Literally): If you’re in a position to do so, consider making a gift to the department. Learn about current efforts that are funding through UD MechE alumni giving.
The Mechanical Engineering Department hosts two great events annually for our alumni and friends.
- Alumni Weekend (June): We kick off Alumni Weekend on Friday evening with a MechE Family Picnic on the front lawn of Spencer Lab and wrap up in time for you to hit Delebration on The Green. Come back Saturday during the day for department- sponsored sporting events like golf and bike rides as well as open house tours of Spencer Lab makerspaces and research labs.
- Homecoming (October): Come back in the fall for a two-day Homecoming celebration. The festivities kick off Friday afternoon with a series of networking events with your fellow mechanical engineers on Main Campus, followed by a department tailgate on Saturday at the football game.
Recognize a Fellow UD MechE
Do you know a UD MechE who is accomplishing great things with their career? Nominate them for a Departmental Award. Every year, the department recognizes outstanding Early Career (<20 years post graduation) and Distinguished Career (20+ years) recipients. Complete this quick online application to nominate a candidate. Self-nominations are welcome!
Your Gifts at Work
Alumni giving supports essential, student-focused initiatives in the UD MechE department. We welcome gifts of any amount. Please designate “Dept. Mechanical Engineering” on checks or online forms to ensure proper allocation. Alumni gifts have been used recently to support:
- Multiple student scholarships
- Rapid prototyping equipment
- Upgrades to woodworking equipment and hand tools
- Hand-held sensors for student use
- Renovations of student work spaces
- Multiple student scholarships