Dr. Tsu-Wei Chou
Pierre S. du Pont Chair of Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Delaware
130 Academy Street, Rm. 126
Newark, DE 19716
Dr. Tsu-Wei Chou is the Pierre S. du Pont Chair of Engineering at the University of Delaware. Dr. Chou received the B.S. degree in civil engineering from the National Taiwan University (1963), the M.S. degree in materials science from Northwestern University (1966) and the Ph.D. degree in materials science from Stanford University. He joined the faculty of the University of Delaware in 1969. Dr. Chou also has served as a visiting professor in the following institutes: Argonne National Laboratory 1975-76, British Science Research Council 1976, the University of Witerwatersrand, South Africa 1977, National Commission for the Investigation of Space, Argentina 1981, Germany Aerospace Research Establishment 1982, London Branch Office, Office of Naval Research 1983, Tongji University, China 1990, Tokyo Science University, Japan 1990, and Industrial Research Institute, Japan 1997. Dr. Chou is an Honorary Professor of the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Northwestern Polytechnical University, the Tongji University and the Southwest Jiaotong University of China. He has performed composites technology assessments in Europe and Asia for ONR and ARO, respectively.
Dr. Chou’s research interests are in materials science, applied mechanics, fiber composite materials, piezoelectric materials, and nanocomposites. He has authored over 355 archival journal papers and book chapters in these areas with a total Google Scholar Citation of over 27,800. Dr. Chou is the author of the book, Microstructural Design of Fiber Composites, Cambridge University Press, England (1992), the co-author of the book, Composites Materials and Their Use in Structures, Elsevier Applied Science, London (1975), and the editor of several books. Dr. Chou is a Fellow of ASME, ASM, ASC, ACerS, TMS and AIAA, and a recipient of the Charles Russ Richards Memorial Award, the Worcester Reed Warner Medal and the Nadai Medal of ASME, the Distinguished Research Award and the ASC/DEStech Award in Composites of the American Society for Composites, as well as the Francis Alison Medal and the Medal of Excellence in Composite Materials of the University of Delaware. Dr. Chou is the Editor-in-Chief of the international journal Composites Science and Technology. He has been recognized by ISI as one of the “Highly Cited Researchers” in the world. Dr. Chou has been named among top 100 materials scientists (ranked 34th) of the past decade (2000-2010) by Times Higher Education. Dr. Chou has been honored as a World Fellow by the International Committee on Composite Materials. He has recently been selected to receive the 2017 Albert Sauveur Achievement Award of ASM International.
- “The effective interfacial shear strength of carbon nanotube fibers in an epoxy matrix characterized by a microdroplet test,” Carbon, 50, 1271-1279 (2012), with M. Zu, Q.W. Li, Y.T. Zhu, M. Dey, G.J. Wang, W.B. Lu, J.M. Deitzel, J.W. Gillespie Jr., and J.H. Byun.
- “Electromechanical Response and Failure Behavior of Aerogel-Spun Carbon Nanotube Fibers under Tensile Loading,” Journal of Material Chemistry, 22, 6792-6798 (2012), with A.S. Wu, J.W. Gillespie Jr., D. Lashmore, and J. Rioux
- “A State-of-Art Review of Carbon Nanotube Fibers: Oppertunities and Challenges,” Advanced Materials, 24 1805-1833 (2012), with W.B. Lu, M. Zu, J.H. Byun, and B. S. Kim.
- “The use of Taguchi optimization in determining optimum electrophoretic conditions for the deposition of carbon nanofiber on carbon fibers for use in carbon/epoxy composites,” Carbon 50, 2853-2859 (2012), with Y. Q. Wang, J. H. Byun, B. S. Kim, and J. I. Song.
- “Strain rate-dependent tensile properties and dynamic electromechanical response of carbon nanotube fibers,”Carbon, 50, 3876-3881 (2012), with A.S. Wu, X, Nie, M.C. Hudspeth, W.W Chen, D. Lashmore, M. Schauer, E. Tolle, and J. Rioux.
- “Characterization of carbon nanotube fiber compressive properties using tensile recoil measurement,” ACS Nano, 60, 4288-4297 (2012), with M. Zu, W. B. Lu, Q. W. Li, and Y. T. Zhu.
- “Carbon nanotube fibers as torsion sensors,” Applied Physics Letters, 100, 201908-3 (2012), with A. S. Wu, X. Nie, M. C. Hudspeth, W. W. Chen, D. S. Lashmore, M. W. Schauer, Erick Towel, and J. Rioux.
- "Carbon Nanotube Fibers for Advanced Composites." Materials Today, 15, 302-310 (2012), with A. S. Wu.
- Stress relaxation in carbon nanotube-based fibers for load-bearing applications,” Carbon, 52, 347-355 (2012), with M. Zu, Q. W. Li, Y. T. Zhu, Y. Zhu, G. J. Wang, and J. H. Byun.
- “Optimization of processing parameters of the chemical vapor deposition process for synthesizing high-quality single-walled carbon nanotube fluff and roving,” Composites Science and Technology, 72, 1855-1862 (2012), with N. H. Tai, H. M. Chen, Y. J. Chen, and J. R. Liang.
- “Sensing of damage and healing in three-dimensional braided composites with vascular channels,” Composites Science and Technology, 72, 1618-1626 (2012), with A. S. Wu, A. M. Coppola, M. J. Sinnott, E. T. Thostenson, J. H. Byun, and B. S. Kim.
- “Carbon nanotube film interlayer for strain and damage sensing in composites during dynamic compressive loading,” Applied Physics Letters, 101, 221909 (2012), with A. S. Wu, W. -J. Na, W.-R. Yu, and J.-H .Byun.
- “Carbon Nanotube Fiber Based Stretchable Conductor,” Advanced Functional Materials, 23, 789–793 (2013), with M. Zu, Q.W. Li, G.J. Wang, and J. H. Byun.
- “Microstructural evolution of carbon nanotube fibers: deformation and strength mechanism,” Nanoscale, 5, 2002–2008 (2013), with X. Liu, W. B. Lu, O. M. Ayala, L. P. Wang, A. M. Karlsson, and Q. S. Yang.
- “Mechanical behavior and structural evolution of carbon nanotube films and fibers under tension: a coarse-grained molecular dynamics study,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 80(5), 051015 (2013), with W. B. Lu, X. Liu, Q. W. Li, and J. H. Byun.
- "Carbon Nanotube Fiber Based Stretchable Wire-Shaped Supercapacitors," Advanced Energy Materials, 4, 1300759 (2014), with P. Xu, T. L. Gu, Z. Y. Cao, B. Q. Wei, J. Y. Yu, F. X. Li, J-H. Byun, W. B. Lu, and Q. W. Li.
- “Synthesis and failure behavior of super-aligned carbon nanotube film wrapped graphene fibers," Carbon, 72, 250-256 (2014), with F. C. Meng, R. Li, Q. W. Li, and W. B. Lu.
- “Carbon nanotube fibers spun from a sizing material,” Applied Physics Letters, 105, 261903 1-4 (2014), with F. Meng, W. Lu, Q. Li, M. Claes, and N. Kchit.
- “Laminated ultrathin chemical vapor deposition graphene films based stretchable and transparent high-rate supercapacitor,” ACS Nano, 8(9), 9437-9445 (2014), with P. Xu, J. Kang, J.-B. Choi, J. Suhr, J. Yu, F. Li, J.-H. Byun, and B.-S. Kim.
- “Mechanism of sonication-assisted electrophoretic deposition of carbon nano-fiber on carbon fabrics,” Composites Science and Technology, 107, 29-35 (2015), with G. Zhou, J.-H. Byun, Y.-Q. Wang, H.-J. Cha, J.-U. Lee, B.-M. Jung, J.-I. Song, and B.-S. Kim.
- “Stretchable Wire-Shaped Asymmetric Supercapacitors Based on Pristine and MnO2 Coated Carbon Nanotube Fibers,” ACS Nano, 9(6), 6088–6096 (2015), with P. Xu, B. Wei, Z. Cao, J. Zheng, K. Gong, F. Li, J. Yu, Q. Li, W. Lu, J.-H. Byun, B.-S. Kim, and Y. Yan.
- “Spatial strain variation of graphene films for stretchable electrodes,” Carbon, 93, 620-624 (2015), with P. Xu, J. Kang, J. Suhr, J. P. Smith, K. S. Booksh, B. Wei, J. Yu, F. Li, J.-H. Byun, and Y. Oh.
- “Additive manufacturing of multi-directional preforms for composites: opportunities and challenges,” Materials Today, 18(9), 503-512 (2015), with Z. Quan, A. Wu, M. Keefe, X. Qin, J. Yu, J. Suhr, J.-H. Byun, and B.-S. Kim.
- “A durability study of carbon nanotube fiber based stretchable electronic devices under cyclic deformation,” Carbon, 94, 352-361 (2015), with J. Yu, L. Wang, X. Lai, S. Pei, Z. Zhuang, L. Meng, Y. Huang, Q. Li, W. Lu, J.-H. Byun, Y. Oh, and Y. Yan.
- “Coating of carbon nanotube fibers: variation of tensile properties, failure behavior and adhesion strength,” Frontiers in Materials, 2(53), (2015), with E. Maeder, J. W. Liu, J. Hiller, W. Lu, Q. W. Li, and S. Zhandarov. (doi: 10.3389/fmats.2015.00053)
- “Graphene-Based Fibers: A Review,” Advanced Materials, 27, 5113-5131 (2015), with F. Meng, W. Lu, Q. Li, J.-H. Byun, and Y. Oh.
- “High-Strength Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube/Permalloy Nanoparticle/Poly(vinyl alcohol) Multifunctional Nanocomposite Fiber”, ACS Nano, 9(11), 11414-11421 (2015), with G. Zhou, Y.-Q. Wang, J.-H. Byun, J.-W. Yi, S.-S. Yoon, H.-J. Cha, J.-U. Lee, Y. Oh, B.-M. Jung, and H.-J. Moon.
- "Microstructural design and additive manufacturing and characterization of 3D orthogonal short carbon fiber/acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene preform and composite", Composites Science and Technology, 126, 139-148 (2016), with Z. Quan, Z. Larimore, A. Wu, J. Yu, X. Qin, M. Mirotznik, J. Suhr, J.-H. Byun, and Y. Oh.
- “An electromechanical behavior of reduced graphene oxide fiber”, Carbon, 105, 244-247 (2016), with F. Meng, M. Wang, W. Lu, Q. Li, and L. Zheng.
- “Omnidirectionally Stretchable High-Performance Supercapacitor Based on Isotropic Buckled Carbon Nanotube Films”, ACS Nano, 10(5), 5204-5211 (2016), with J. Yu, W. Lu, S. Pei, K. Gong, L. Wang, L. Meng, Y. Huang, J. P. Smith, K. S. Booksh, Q. Li, J.-H. Byun, Y. Oh, and Y. Yan.
- “Microstructural characterization of additively manufactured multi-directional preforms and composites via X-ray micro-computed tomography”, Composites Science and Technology, 131, 48-60 (2016), with Z. Quan, Z. Larimore, X. Qin, J. Yu, M. Mirotznik, J.-H. Byun, and Y. Oh.
- “A continuum mechanics model of multi-buckling in graphene – substrate systems with randomly distributed debonding”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 97-98, 510-519 (2016), with X. Gao, C. Li, and Y. Song.
- “Multifunctional continuous fibers based on aligned carbon nanotubes”, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 49(46), 461002 (2016), TW Chou.
- “A High Performance Stretchable Asymmetric Fiber-Shaped Supercapacitor with a Core-Sheath Helical Structure”, Advanced Energy Materials, accepted for publication (2016), with J. Yu, W. Lu, J. P. Smith, K. S. Booksh, L. Meng, Y. Huang, Q. Li, J.-H. Byun, Y. Oh, and Y. Yan. (DOI:10.1002/aenm.201600976)
Modeling & characterization of polymer-,metal- and ceramic-based fiber composites; nanocomposites
Carbon nanotube based damage sensing of composites; modeling and characterization of carbon nanotube fibers and their composites
Fiber composites; nanocomposites; piezoelectric materials
Micro- and nano-mechanics of anisotropic and inhomogeneous material systems
International collaborative research programs; exchange of students and researchers